Of The Movie Carrie and Its Take On Bullying


Have you seen the 2013 version of the movie Carrie?

I happen to have the chance to watch it two nights ago and it brought some thoughts to my mind. But first let me give you a brief idea on what Carrie is about - in case you’re clueless.

Carrie is a 2013 American supernatural horror film. It is a film adaptation of Stephen King's 1974 novel of the same name. The story [revolves around the life] of misfit high-school girl, Carrie White, who gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers. Repressed by a domineering, ultra-religious mother and tormented by her peers at school, her efforts to fit in lead to a dramatic confrontation during the senior prom. (cr)

But instead of doing a movie review, which I admit I’m not so good at, I’ll be talking about the other dominant theme in the movie – bullying.

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose. (cr)

The character of Chris Hargensen in the movie was evil personified. Okay maybe I was exaggerating a little. But seriously, her character is my definition of the ultimate bully. Not only does she torture Carrie physically, she also messes with her mentally and emotionally. I mean, seriously, how can she be so evil?

Setting that thought aside, I believe there is a little bit of Carrie in every one of us. A Carrie who’s scared to mingle, a mis-fit who lacks socializing skills. A person who gets bullied for being “different” or “non-conforming”.


To tell you the truth, I was also bullied in school. Initially, it was more of the name-calling, teasing stuff. I've probably heard all the usual names, me being the overweight girl. Then one day, for some reason I can’t really recall, I got beaten up by two guys from my class during middle school. I remember trying to defend myself from these guys and that no one has bothered to help me. I don't remember how I got home that day. I guess they just lost interest in me and decided to leave me alone. I did not report that incident to my teacher. And I never told anyone about that, even my parents, until just recently. 

I’d be lying if I say that that point in my life never had any effect on me. Actually, it has. And it did a great deal of damage to my self-esteem.

Like Carrie, I've been scared to open myself up to people. I chose to be by myself, turning only to my family for support. I've been avoiding people like the plague. That was my way of dealing with the bullying.

I believe different people have different ways of dealing with the experience of bullying. Sadly, I've even heard of some who were unable to handle the pressure and thus ended up committing suicide. People ending their lives because they've lost the strength to put up with hearing heartless, insensitive comments from other people. That’s really disheartening to know.


Bullying is not acceptable and it never will be. Whatever reason that bully might come up with to defend his or her actions of hurting another person is never, ever going to be valid.

As for you, or anyone who has experienced or is experiencing bullying, don’t give up. Don’t let these bullies get to you. Don’t think that you deserve what is happening to you. No one deserves to be bullied. Just because these bullies think that you’re different from them do not give them the authority to treat you badly. Stand up for yourself. Or seek help. Whichever you think is a better way for you.

I’ll tell you this, you are beautiful in your own way. You have to be yourself. Don’t let others control your life. You are born to be yourself. These bullies, they may have their own reasons for acting as such, but never, ever let them control your life. Focus on the positive things in your life. Focus on the happy thoughts and the people who care for you. These are the more important things in your life that you have to value and cherish.

Having gone through bullying myself, I won’t lie and tell you that I’m perfectly fine now. But I am getting there. It’s not an easy feat but it’s not impossible either. I believe I can do it. You should too. 

Believe in yourself. And love yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...