Skip to main content

Sotus: The Series - An Intro to the BL World

Hey there. I'm back with another post about the Thai BL scene. Let's see how long it's going to take before my obsession for this genre dies down. But for now, allow me to tell you a quick story of how I got sucked in to this world. This is a bit overdue but better late than never, I guess. 

I am one of those night owls who usually stay up until the wee hours browsing the internet for anything and everything. I am either on Pinterest, Thought Catalog, Twitter (back when I was still on it), and Youtube. I swear I watch the most random videos on Youtube! There are times when I binge on space and astronaut videos, faith-in-humanity-restored videos, cooking videos, and even Asian Boss videos. Unless it's too violent or gruesome, I would most likely watch any video that catches my attention.

I am usually just going through my recommended videos and for some reason, a compilation video of the best Thai Boys Love dramas showed up in my feed. Being a KPop fan and a shipper of some Korean male artists, I am open to the idea of guy couples. My curiosity got the best of me so I clicked on it.

There were a few dramas that were listed on that video. And the premise of each story seems interesting. I have yet to watch a drama where the main couple are both males so this is definitely something refreshing. I also read the comments on the video giving suggestions on which show is a good one. I somewhat did a survey on the most popular, I guess.

Finally, I decided to try out Sotus: The Series for three reasons. First, the plot was light and interesting enough for me as I am not a fan of heavy dramas. Second is that a lot of people recommended it, like a lot. And lastly, because the characters are engineering students and being an engineer myself, it's kind of a biased decision.


The Plot
Sotus is a 2016 Thai romance drama produced by GMMTV, a really huge entertainment company in Thailand. It starred Krist Perawat Sangpotirat and Singto Prachaya Ruangroj. Basically, the story revolves around the traditional initiation process for engineering freshmen also called S.O.T.U.S. which is an acronym for Seniority, Order, Tradition, Unity, and Spirit. In short, it's some sort of legal "hazing" in the university.

Krist plays the role of Arthit, the head hazer who is a bit short-tempered and for the life of me, I cannot understand how he can carry on screaming in most of his scenes. I could feel my throat ache just by listening to him shout. He's quite cruel and often gives out extreme orders to the freshmen. To everyone's amazement, he was challenged by one righteous and assertive freshman by the name of Kongpob played by Singto. 

Arthit was not one to back down and so the first few episodes of the series showed the constant power-struggle between Arthit and Kongpob until they eventually fell in love with each other. Okay that was a shortcut. Kongpob was the first one to realise he has romantic feelings for Arthit and tried to win him over by doing all sorts of nice stuff for him. It took a few more episodes before Arthit finally accepted Kongpob's feelings for him as he was mainly worried of the difficulties that would arise in a romantic relationship between two guys.

such deep meaning for a simple gear

The General Review
As I've said, Sotus is a light-hearted romantic BL drama so don't expect any heart-wrenching scenes in this one. The story line moved at a proper pace which in turn gave great chance for character development. And because of that, the story seemed more cohesive and does not feel rushed. You understand how Kongpob fell for Arthit and how Arthit came to like him back eventually. Now that I've watched a few other BL dramas, I can say that Sotus has succeeded in catching my interest from the first up until the last episode of the series. Each episode was well-written and the cast portrayed their respective roles quite nicely.

feel that spark? yep, their chemistry is electrifying.

The Chemistry
Krist and Singto were perfect for this series! The first episode was shaky and there is slight awkwardness because obviously, it's the first episode. Everyone's just trying to get into the groove and become more comfortable with their own roles. But as the series progressed, these two guys proved that casting them was a correct decision. They looked so lovely together! I'm thinking it's because Arthit and Kongpob have opposing personalities that they eventually complemented each other. I have said this before and I will say this again, and again.. and again! Singto gives off the aura of a genuine person. And because of that, he played the role of Kongpob so well that he definitely looked like he's in love with another guy. Not once did I feel like it's all an act. Krist and Singto is a match made in heaven! 

how could you not love this cutie?

Final Thoughts
Sotus: The Series is still my top favourite Thai BL drama up to this moment. The light-heartedness of the show along with the great cast and story line, and ultimately the amazing chemistry between Krist and Singto have all perfectly combined together to make this series a very enjoyable one. Definitely a series worth watching (for newbies of the Thai BL world) and re-watching (for obsessed fujoshis like me). I may or may not have watched it more than three times already. 


So there you have it. My first love from the world of Thai BL dramas. Sotus: The Series. I am so happy I finally got to write about this. I feel like I need to put it out there how much I like this series. Before anything else, this was the one that sucked me into the exciting world of BL dramas.

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favour and watch Sotus: The Series. The entire series as well as the sequel is available on Youtube, just do a quick search for it. 💛


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Moon in Manila

How do I even begin this fan account? Yesterday was crazy. I was basically dragging my feet going home as I was too tired from the long day but it was all worth it. Finally seeing Jung Yong Hwa , Lee Jong Hyun , Kang Min Hyuk , and Lee Jung Shin of CNBLUE perform live in front of me is truly a dream come true. The concert was scheduled to start at 8:00 PM while gates open at 6:00 PM but I went to the venue early so I won’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic or something. I was there at around 3:00 in the afternoon and good thing the concert venue was next to shopping malls so I was just mindlessly strolling while waiting for the time. I lined up at around 4:00 PM and thankfully they opened the gates and let everyone in at exactly 6:00 PM, so I only need to stand in line for about 2 hours. Of course, it’s nothing compared to yesterday’s. While we were let into the building early, we had to wait again to enter the main coliseum where the concert will take place. It seems like

Son Woo Hyeon Returns to Stage Plays in Sergio Blanco’s Tebas Land

Tebas Land depicts the story of S , a playwright seeking to create a project around the story of Martin Santos , a young man who murdered his own father. The pair gets to know each other through repeated encounters on a prison basketball court as S gives Martin a space to share his story in his own words. S originally aims to understand what caused Martin to kill his father and to decipher the psyche of a parricide, however, as their meetings progress, S’s artistic vision begins to blur the line between art and truth. In the play, Woo Hyun takes on the roles of Martin , a young man imprisoned for the murder of his father, and Federico , the actor who will be portraying Martin. The show will run from June 28, 2023 (Wednesday) to September 24, 2023 (Sunday) at the Chungmu Arts Center – Middle Hall (Black) in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The venue has a maximum capacity of 327 seats . There will be performances every day except on Monday making the total performances to 103 (or 102 in cas

To My Star Has Seized My Universe

Hey everyone! How have you been? As for me, I have been busy with the mundane stuff but thankfully still have enough time to spend catching up on old and new BL shows alike. With how popular the Boys’ Love genre has come to be, it’s no surprise that entertainment companies have been steadily churning show after show for the fans to feast on. My watch list just keeps getting longer but I’m not complaining. Today, I’m going to talk about a Korean BL series that is very special to me: To My Star . This will be the first of a 2-part post on this series as I will be talking about seasons 1 & 2 separately. Please be warned that this will be an in-depth review of the show so there will be spoilers not to mention it will be a lengthy post. Let’s start. The Plot To My Star is a South Korean Boys’ Love (KBL) web drama directed by Hwang Da Seul and starring actors Son Woo Hyeon and Kim Kang Min . Season 1 began airing on the 22nd of  January 2021 and had a total of 9 episodes with a durat