Skip to main content

My Engineer: Ram and King Stole My Heart

Hey everyone!

I am back with another post on the topic of Thai BL. This time, I will be talking about the series, My Engineer. I know this drama is not easily accessible to the viewers compared to the other dramas I had previously watched.

My Engineer is a 2020 Thai Boys Love series by Tencent Video, a Chinese-owned video streaming website giant. Unlike all the dramas I've seen before which were made by GMMTV, My Engineer is not readily available for all countries. There are some regions that have no access to it which I believe added to the reason why this drama did not get as much recognition.


A twist to my usual review, I will be focusing on the side couple, Ram and King which were played by Perth Nakhun Screaigh and Lay Talay Sanguandikun respectively. Although this show has three other couples (Mek-Boss, Ram-King, and Frong-Thara) in addition to the main couple (Bohn-Duen), my interest was just in those two. To be honest, the main couple was not my cup of tea, especially the character of Duen. Yeah, I guess his personality was that innocent, clueless guy but to me, he just came off as painfully idiotic.


So, back to Ram and King. These characters were played perfectly by Perth and Lay. The chemistry is just exploding and I love that even though they're not seasoned actors, they were never awkward in their acting. Okay so maybe there were times when they were awkward but I find it charming and tolerable still. I give huge props to Lay for giving justice to King's character. I never felt cringy whenever his character comes out on screen. He was able to pull Perth up since the latter literally had non-existent lines in most of their scenes. Oh and another thing I like about King is his sister. She's a fujoshi in the series so I found her very relatable!


Ram's character development was also satisfying to watch. He started as this closed-off guy who takes a while to warm up to other people. It's nice that we get to immediately see in the first few episodes that he was part of a close-knit friend group so you know there's more to him than meets the eye. The very few lines he had were striking and wise and I particularly love the scenes where he's taking care of Duen. It shows how good of a friend he is and boy do we need more of those too. I appreciate how he slowly opened up to King and eventually came to terms with his own emotions. Oh, and in my opinion, his having those tattoos but also being very timid added to his appeal. He's the mysterious, bad-boy-but-actually-soft-hearted guy that almost everyone dreams about.



To be honest, I felt towards the middle of the series that the team realized that Ram and King were being loved by the viewers more so they were sneakily given more screen time. Or I could be wrong. Actually, I have read and watched a few reviews about this series and most of them pointed out how the series was able to successfully divide the screen time for all four couples almost equally. I guess that is why I became more invested in the Ram-King pairing as I could watch them on screen as much as the other couples. Another confession, I did skip a few scenes of the other couples just to get to Ram and King's parts immediately. Please don't judge me.


Before I end this post, I'd like to briefly talk about Mek and Boss. To be honest, I cannot get through the fact that Mek's lines were dubbed the entire series. It was frustrating and I lose focus whenever his dubbed lines are being played. That's the main reason why I did not warm up to this couple. Such a waste of talent, honestly. I feel sad for the actor that played Mek because I think his acting was not bad. Hopefully, he gets to land a better acting gig that will highlight his skills even more.


There you have it. I know this wasn't really a review of My Engineer the series but of the side couple, Ram and King. I apologize for being biased but I honestly don't have much to talk about the other couples so I focused on my favorites instead. I told you, I skipped a few scenes to get to my pair.

I believe they will release a sequel to this drama next year. I am definitely looking forward to that but while waiting, you should go check out My Engineer The Series if you haven't done so yet. 💛

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Moon in Manila

How do I even begin this fan account? Yesterday was crazy. I was basically dragging my feet going home as I was too tired from the long day but it was all worth it. Finally seeing Jung Yong Hwa , Lee Jong Hyun , Kang Min Hyuk , and Lee Jung Shin of CNBLUE perform live in front of me is truly a dream come true. The concert was scheduled to start at 8:00 PM while gates open at 6:00 PM but I went to the venue early so I won’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic or something. I was there at around 3:00 in the afternoon and good thing the concert venue was next to shopping malls so I was just mindlessly strolling while waiting for the time. I lined up at around 4:00 PM and thankfully they opened the gates and let everyone in at exactly 6:00 PM, so I only need to stand in line for about 2 hours. Of course, it’s nothing compared to yesterday’s. While we were let into the building early, we had to wait again to enter the main coliseum where the concert will take place. It seems like

Son Woo Hyeon Returns to Stage Plays in Sergio Blanco’s Tebas Land

Tebas Land depicts the story of S , a playwright seeking to create a project around the story of Martin Santos , a young man who murdered his own father. The pair gets to know each other through repeated encounters on a prison basketball court as S gives Martin a space to share his story in his own words. S originally aims to understand what caused Martin to kill his father and to decipher the psyche of a parricide, however, as their meetings progress, S’s artistic vision begins to blur the line between art and truth. In the play, Woo Hyun takes on the roles of Martin , a young man imprisoned for the murder of his father, and Federico , the actor who will be portraying Martin. The show will run from June 28, 2023 (Wednesday) to September 24, 2023 (Sunday) at the Chungmu Arts Center – Middle Hall (Black) in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The venue has a maximum capacity of 327 seats . There will be performances every day except on Monday making the total performances to 103 (or 102 in cas

To My Star Has Seized My Universe

Hey everyone! How have you been? As for me, I have been busy with the mundane stuff but thankfully still have enough time to spend catching up on old and new BL shows alike. With how popular the Boys’ Love genre has come to be, it’s no surprise that entertainment companies have been steadily churning show after show for the fans to feast on. My watch list just keeps getting longer but I’m not complaining. Today, I’m going to talk about a Korean BL series that is very special to me: To My Star . This will be the first of a 2-part post on this series as I will be talking about seasons 1 & 2 separately. Please be warned that this will be an in-depth review of the show so there will be spoilers not to mention it will be a lengthy post. Let’s start. The Plot To My Star is a South Korean Boys’ Love (KBL) web drama directed by Hwang Da Seul and starring actors Son Woo Hyeon and Kim Kang Min . Season 1 began airing on the 22nd of  January 2021 and had a total of 9 episodes with a durat