Skip to main content

Let's Talk About 2nd Generation K-Pop

Hey everyone! How are you guys holding up? I cannot believe we are now down to the last four months of the year 2020. Pretty crazy, I should say. The start of the new decade has been one heck of a ride but as with everything else, I believe this too shall pass.


Before we start with this post's main subject, I have a quick question for all the K-Pop fans out there. What year did you guys start getting into K-Pop?  Don't worry! This won't be a battle of who's the more genuine fan. Besides, how long you've been a K-Pop fan does not define your worth and sincerity as a fan. It's not about the numbers, okay?


So why the question? The reason I'm asking is that today I will be talking about older Korean artists. Particularly, I will be talking about some of my older, not-so-favorite K-Pop idol groups whose songs are still in my playlist up to this day. And since I am pretty much considered an ahjumma fan now, most of these might be unfamiliar to some of you newer fangirls and fanboys. I hope even after hearing that, you'd still continue reading this post because these artists deserve recognition and I'm sure you'll find a song or two that'll pique your interest.


Let's begin the list, shall we?


1. After School

First on my list is the girl group After School formed by Pledis Entertainment. For reference, they're under the same company as NU'EST and Seventeen

After School debuted in January 2009 as a five-member girl group but has undergone a series of member changes through the years because of its unique process of member graduation. I failed to keep up with the member changes but the era I got into them was during their Bang promotions. I found the stages for Bang with the marching band concept incredibly creative and the girls were really pretty too. 

My favorite members are Uee, Nana, and Bekah. I first knew of Uee through the drama You're Beautiful. Nana is the member I find the prettiest and I enjoyed watching her on the Korean variety show Roommate. Lastly, I find Bekah interesting and her features are really charming.

Here are the After School songs still included in my playlist.

  • Shampoo - Shampoo is a fun song with a nice beat. I love how bouncy this song is and I also love its music video.
  • Bang - Bang is one of the most entertaining After School songs for me. The performances are set up in a marching band concept and the girls are just so pretty!
  • Love Love Love - This song is a Christmas release from After School. The music video is a visual spectacle and the song is fun and cheerful. It gives off a really feel-good vibe that even though it's not the holidays, I still listen to it.

Last time I checked, the group has not yet officially disbanded although most of the members had departed the company following their contract expiration.

Seriously, After School is such a great group! They're so underrated considering that they had quite a lot of great songs and in my opinion, had some of the best visuals in the industry during their time.


2. Infinite

Infinite is initially a seven-member South Korean boy group formed in June 2010 by Woollim Entertainment. As of current, two members had already left the company. They're among the first K-Pop groups with incredibly powerful and well-synchronized dance moves.

To be honest, I wasn't an instant fan of Infinite when they first debuted. I only decided to check them out after watching Hoya play a character in the hit Korean drama Reply 1997. He played his gay character so well considering it's his first-ever acting stint. Coincidentally, Reply 1997 is among my top Korean dramas of all time. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly suggest you go check out that drama. Sadly, Hoya has left the group in August 2017.

Here are Infinite's songs in my playlist.

  • Paradise - This song is just WOW! I can't explain why but each time I hear it I feel empowered. Weird, right? The opening beat is crazy good. That alone is enough to get me hooked on this track.
  • Bad - This one is more of a fun song for me. It's catchy, upbeat, and just plain powerful. I remember always singing along to this on my drives to and from work. Such a great pick-me-upper.
  • Be Mine - Another powerful song from Infinite. What I noticed from my favorites is that Infinite's opening beats are such a bop. It makes you want to break out into a dance wherever you are. Be Mine was originally my favorite song from Infinite but now I can't choose among these three. They are all so crazy good!

For this group, I am more into the music and not very much the individual members so I can't really say much about each one. Infinite is one amazing Korean idol group and although I wasn't into them that much, I still believe their songs deserve a spot in every K-Pop enthusiast's playlist.


3. KARA

KARA is one of the top 2nd generation K-Pop idol groups together with my favorites Girls Generation and 2NE1. They are well-known for their song 'Mister' whose choreography featured the "butt-dance".

Although KARA was already huge in Korea, they were a much bigger hit in Japan. Aside from fame and fortune, they also went through a huge controversy when four out of the five KARA members decided to terminate their contract with their company, DSP Media. They were able to resolve the issue but 2 of the members decided to leave the company after the contract expiration. 

A new member was then added to the group through a reality survival show. Sadly, a few months after she debuted with KARA, the group disbanded. On January 2016, DSP Media officially announced the group's disbandment.

Here are KARA's songs I've added to my playlist.

  • Step - Step is such a fun and upbeat song. The opening is kind of like a retro-ish vibe like you're about to go into a fitness class or something. It's ultimately a feel-good song and the music video is a color feast. In my opinion, this is one of the best songs from KARA. I remember I had a phase where I watched literally every live performance of this song. Crazy good!
  • Mamma Mia - This song is their first release after changing members. The music video is visually pleasing and the ladies are beautiful as always. I was surprised to see the new member able to keep up with the original KARA members.

Being a casual fan of KARA, I was really disappointed with how KARA turned out. They were among the top girl groups and they had such great bops. I've watched some of the members on variety shows before and they were such fun personalities.


4. Apink

Apink is originally a seven-member girl group formed by Play M Entertainment (formerly A Cube Entertainment and Plan A Entertainment). 

Apink has been consistent with their concept of cute, girly concepts until recently when they started doing sexier promotions. I loved them during their earlier concepts, but not so much now. As with Infinite, I first found out about this group through Eun Ji who played a role in the same drama Reply 1997 together with Hoya. Aside from being a decent actress, Eun Ji is a powerful vocalist and has been doing solo activities during the group's off time. You can tell I am a fan.

I have nothing much to say about the other members since I'm just a casual fan of the group. So onto Apink's songs in my playlist.

  • Mr. Chu - Mr. Chu is such a bright song. It has Apink's signature girly vibe with the pastels and florals evident in the music video. Overall it's such a feast for the eyes and the girls are really pretty as well.
  • My My - Another one of their older songs and still on the innocent concept. I know most people will say Apink's tracks all sounded similar but I'm not complaining. I enjoy listening to their songs and that's enough for me to like the group.

Apink is one of those older-generation Korean girl groups with a stable and loyal fandom that's able to pull them up even during these times when newer, younger girl groups are emerging and getting more and more recognition. If you're into cute, innocent girl group concepts, you should definitely give these girls a listen.


5. Highlight/Beast

Highlight is a Korean boy group formerly known as Beast. During their times as Beast, they consist of six members but after moving companies and the departure of two members, the group is now left with four original members. Since I was a fan of their earlier songs, I will refer to them as Beast in this particular post.

To be honest, I only know of two songs from this group. Although I have seen a few of the members guest on some of the older Korean variety shows. They seem like really fun guys and I felt sad the first time I learned that they are unable to retain their original name 'Beast' after changing labels. Their company did them dirty but I guess business is business. Anyway, let's just head directly to my two favorite songs from Beast.

  • Fiction - Fiction has an interesting beat that gets you hooked the more you listen to it. I have to admit I did not immediately like this song. It just got stuck in my head since a coworker of mine keeps singing the same line over and over again.
  • Beautiful Night - Beautiful Night is such a laid-back song. It's catchy and fun and I just feel good listening to it. My sister who isn't into K-Pop liked this song after listening to it a few times. 

While rewatching the music video, I was reminded of how I was a fan of the maknae, Dongwoon. If I'm not mistaken, I may have posted about him on this blog a few years ago. I might have to check on that later on. So yeah, Beast/Highlight is a bunch of talented guys so you might want to check them out.


6. Sistar

Sistar was a four-member Korean girl group under Starship Entertainment. They officially released their debut album on August 2011 and finally disbanded in 2017. They are known to K-Pop fans as the queens of summer songs.

Again, another group of which I am just a casual fan of their songs. I don't follow the members' activities so I will just go directly to my favorite songs.

  • Loving U - To be honest, this is the first Sistar song I listened to and instantly loved! The music video is the definition of summer with most of the shots taken from a beach. I love how laid-back and fun this song is. Funny that the song is bubbly and fun but the dance is more on the sexy side.
  • I Swear - Another summer song with the ladies just being silly and having fun. The music video is more on the sexier side but still retains the fun vibe that's signature Sistar style.
  • Touch My Body - Yet another summer tune that's both sexy and silly. The dance moves are kind of funny but in a good way. 
  • Shake It - Oh this one is pretty different. It has quite a summery vibe to it but the music video is an entirely different concept. It's colorful, quirky, and still has the sexy tone that Sistar's been known for.

Sistar are proven queens when it comes to summer releases so if you want to listen to something chill, fun, and something reminiscent of tropical vacations then they are the go-to group. Although they have officially disbanded, the ladies of Sistar has left us some of the greatest bops of all time. Another thing I'd like to point out is how gracious their exit was. They performed medleys of their greatest hits on music shows and ended their run on a very positive note. Such queens indeed!


7. FT Island

Last on my list but definitely not the least is the Korean rock band FT Island or Five Treasure Island under FNC Entertainment.

I stumbled upon this band after watching You're Beautiful. By now, it's quite obvious that You're Beautiful is my gateway to the K-Pop world. After watching that drama, there was no turning back for me. Hongki's character in that show is innocent, playful, and very lovable. The picture below is him, by the way.

The biggest controversy that rocked FT Island and their fans is the involvement of the group leader in various serious criminal offenses. I deliberately excluded his picture in this post because he's such a trash of a human being. He departed FT Island and was subsequently charged with filming hidden camera footage illegally.

That's a pretty heavy issue and as much as we, fans, would like to believe that our idols are pure and faultless, more often than not they aren't. What happened to FT Island's leader is evidence of how little we know of the true character of the people we idolized. 

Let's move on to my favorite FT Island songs now, shall we?

  • Love Sick - Love Sick, for me, is the best FT Island song. Hongki did an amazing job of performing this song with such raw emotions. I can feel the hurt in his voice like it's my own.
  • Heaven - Heaven is another powerful song from this group. I have to be honest that Hongki's voice is definitely what's keeping FT Island on a different level. Pure talent indeed!
  • Bad Woman - If you haven't listened to this song yet, go right now! This song is the 2nd on my list of the best FT Island songs. YOU. HAVE. TO. LISTEN. TO. IT. NOW.

Frankly, FT Island is one of those artists whose songs I can listen to all the time. They are that impressive! If you've never heard of them, I can understand since bands that play real instruments are not so mainstream in Korea. Or so that's how it was during the 2nd generation.

FT Island is a powerful rock band that's stood the test of time. Their songs are a combination of emotionally-charged and fun, laid-back tracks. With Hongki's powerful vocals, this group is no doubt one of the top Korean bands out there. 


I've also listed down a few other songs from 2nd generation Korean idol groups worth mentioning. They're a staple in my old-school K-Pop playlist.

  • Mirotic - TVXQ! (also known as DBSK and Tohoshinki)
  • Love in the Ice - TVXQ! (also known as DBSK and Tohoshinki).
  • No Other - Super Junior
  • Replay - SHINee
  • Hush - miss A
  • Good Day - IU
  • Abracadabra - Brown Eyed Girls
  • Hot Issue - 4Minute
  • Again & Again - 2PM
  • I'll Be Back - 2PM


So there you have it. If you're still reading at this point, then I am very, very grateful for your time. This one turned out to be longer than I had expected but I do hope you find this post interesting enough to check out the songs I've talked about. It's nice to go back in time and listen to some of the artists that the newer K-Pop groups now have looked up to when they were just starting their careers in the industry. It's never a competition because K-Pop is continuously evolving and newer artists will eventually emerge as time passes. Talk again soon. 💛


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Moon in Manila

How do I even begin this fan account? Yesterday was crazy. I was basically dragging my feet going home as I was too tired from the long day but it was all worth it. Finally seeing Jung Yong Hwa , Lee Jong Hyun , Kang Min Hyuk , and Lee Jung Shin of CNBLUE perform live in front of me is truly a dream come true. The concert was scheduled to start at 8:00 PM while gates open at 6:00 PM but I went to the venue early so I won’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic or something. I was there at around 3:00 in the afternoon and good thing the concert venue was next to shopping malls so I was just mindlessly strolling while waiting for the time. I lined up at around 4:00 PM and thankfully they opened the gates and let everyone in at exactly 6:00 PM, so I only need to stand in line for about 2 hours. Of course, it’s nothing compared to yesterday’s. While we were let into the building early, we had to wait again to enter the main coliseum where the concert will take place. It seems like

Son Woo Hyeon Returns to Stage Plays in Sergio Blanco’s Tebas Land

Tebas Land depicts the story of S , a playwright seeking to create a project around the story of Martin Santos , a young man who murdered his own father. The pair gets to know each other through repeated encounters on a prison basketball court as S gives Martin a space to share his story in his own words. S originally aims to understand what caused Martin to kill his father and to decipher the psyche of a parricide, however, as their meetings progress, S’s artistic vision begins to blur the line between art and truth. In the play, Woo Hyun takes on the roles of Martin , a young man imprisoned for the murder of his father, and Federico , the actor who will be portraying Martin. The show will run from June 28, 2023 (Wednesday) to September 24, 2023 (Sunday) at the Chungmu Arts Center – Middle Hall (Black) in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The venue has a maximum capacity of 327 seats . There will be performances every day except on Monday making the total performances to 103 (or 102 in cas

To My Star Has Seized My Universe

Hey everyone! How have you been? As for me, I have been busy with the mundane stuff but thankfully still have enough time to spend catching up on old and new BL shows alike. With how popular the Boys’ Love genre has come to be, it’s no surprise that entertainment companies have been steadily churning show after show for the fans to feast on. My watch list just keeps getting longer but I’m not complaining. Today, I’m going to talk about a Korean BL series that is very special to me: To My Star . This will be the first of a 2-part post on this series as I will be talking about seasons 1 & 2 separately. Please be warned that this will be an in-depth review of the show so there will be spoilers not to mention it will be a lengthy post. Let’s start. The Plot To My Star is a South Korean Boys’ Love (KBL) web drama directed by Hwang Da Seul and starring actors Son Woo Hyeon and Kim Kang Min . Season 1 began airing on the 22nd of  January 2021 and had a total of 9 episodes with a durat