Skip to main content

The Era of Podcasting

Hey everyone! I hope your week started off just right. I know mine did. I haven't talked about it here yet but I do work from home part-time so basically, I am working on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Generally, my workload is light but it does get a bit hectic at month's end. Anyway, I won't be talking about work-related stuff in today's post.


I'm sure you've noticed how suddenly everyone is creating their own digital content recently. All of a sudden, celebrities and even social media influencers began putting out their video blogs (or vlogs as we call them) talking about whatever. Aside from vlogs though, people have also been getting into podcasts to make themselves productive during this quarantine period.



What are podcasts anyway?

According to Wikipedia, "a podcast is an episodic series of spoken word digital audio files that a user can download to a personal device for easy listening."  So basically it is a recorded audio that could be about anything and everything under the sun. Actually, if you want to be a content creator but are lacking skills in shooting and editing videos, you can turn to podcasts instead. All you need is a good-quality microphone and a well-written topic then you're good to go.


Honestly, even before this quarantine began, I was already listening to a few podcasts to keep me entertained. I went to Sydney, Australia back in 2018 for studies and stayed there for 15 months and that's when I learned about the existence of podcasts. I remember starting with the platform Apple Podcasts before later transferring to Spotify.


Why listen to podcasts?

If you are like me who enjoys doing tasks with music playing in the background, you'd be very happy to know that podcasts can work like that as well. You can listen to a podcast host talk about topics that interest you while you're doing chores like cooking lunch, doing laundry, folding clothes, and even taking a bath. And depending on what mood you're on, you can choose from topics ranging from money handling, networking, true crime, urban legends, scary stories, and relationships. Whatever it is that you want to hear about, I'd say there's probably a podcast made about it.


Of course, I can't talk about podcasts and not share what my current favorites are. So for the main part of this post, I will be listing down my current favorite podcasts to give you an idea of what's out there. You may find your first one from this list if you have yet to listen to a podcast. Or if you're already a listener, hopefully, you'll find something to add to your collection.


Let's begin the list, shall we?


1. The Pineapple Project

The Pineapple Project is an Australian podcast series from ABC Radio that talks about various life topics from handling finances to tackling the subject of death. They are now on their 5th season and still consistently putting up relevant and well-researched episodes. This is actually the first podcast I listened to back when I was in Sydney. I remember one classmate of mine briefly talked about this so I checked it out and was instantly hooked. It's the perfect balance of information and entertainment. The first host, Claire Hooper was such a fun, endearing person, and listening to her speak is never boring. When they changed the host to Jan Fran, I was a bit worried because she might not live up to Claire's standards. But thankfully, Jan is doing pretty great. Their topic on death is one of my favorites because it discusses the sensitive topic from a more practical and cerebral point of view.


2. The Eve's Drop

The Eve's Drop is a podcast hosted by three very real, very smart, and very entertaining ladies - Delamar Arias, Francesca Tobias, and Gelli Victor. To be honest, I initially thought I would not warm up to this podcast since most of their earlier topics involve motherhood and romantic relationships, both of which I have never experienced before. Although there are episodes I have yet to listen to since I don't think I can relate to them at this point in my life, their discussions have branched out more and tackled a wider selection of subjects such as living independently, impostor syndrome, handling rejection, toxic Filipino traits, and lusting on a few celebrities. There is never a dull moment with these ladies and I must say that they are one of the reasons why quarantine life is a bit more bearable for me.


3. The Asian Madness Podcast

Now on to the darker ones. The Asian Madness Podcast is a podcast series that discusses true crimes, superstitions, urban legends, mysteries, and weird news from Asia. I am a huge fan of true crime and mysteries so imagine how delighted I am to stumble upon this gem of a podcast. The episodes are well-researched and I appreciate how Jessica, the host of the show, starts each episode with a short background of the country where the story happened. Speaking of Jessica, I love her way of talking and the pacing of her speech. 


4. Casefile

Casefile True Crime Podcast, or simply Casefile, is an Australian crime podcast that first aired in January 2016 hosted by a man who remains anonymous. The series deals with criminal cases, often related to well-known murders and serial crimes in Australia but from time to time also features international cases. I have to admit, some of the cases they discuss can be a bit too much for me. If you are a fan of true crimes, Casefile is one the best out there so you have to go check it out.



There you have it. So far, those are the podcasts I listen to almost every day. I have this habit of playing an episode while going about my usual daily routine. And even before I go to sleep, I put on an episode and then set the sleep timer. What I like about podcasts is that you can listen to them while doing something else unlike watching vlogs or Youtube videos which would require your full attention.


Don't forget to wash your hands. Talk again soon. 💛


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Moon in Manila

How do I even begin this fan account? Yesterday was crazy. I was basically dragging my feet going home as I was too tired from the long day but it was all worth it. Finally seeing Jung Yong Hwa , Lee Jong Hyun , Kang Min Hyuk , and Lee Jung Shin of CNBLUE perform live in front of me is truly a dream come true. The concert was scheduled to start at 8:00 PM while gates open at 6:00 PM but I went to the venue early so I won’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic or something. I was there at around 3:00 in the afternoon and good thing the concert venue was next to shopping malls so I was just mindlessly strolling while waiting for the time. I lined up at around 4:00 PM and thankfully they opened the gates and let everyone in at exactly 6:00 PM, so I only need to stand in line for about 2 hours. Of course, it’s nothing compared to yesterday’s. While we were let into the building early, we had to wait again to enter the main coliseum where the concert will take place. It seems like

Son Woo Hyeon Returns to Stage Plays in Sergio Blanco’s Tebas Land

Tebas Land depicts the story of S , a playwright seeking to create a project around the story of Martin Santos , a young man who murdered his own father. The pair gets to know each other through repeated encounters on a prison basketball court as S gives Martin a space to share his story in his own words. S originally aims to understand what caused Martin to kill his father and to decipher the psyche of a parricide, however, as their meetings progress, S’s artistic vision begins to blur the line between art and truth. In the play, Woo Hyun takes on the roles of Martin , a young man imprisoned for the murder of his father, and Federico , the actor who will be portraying Martin. The show will run from June 28, 2023 (Wednesday) to September 24, 2023 (Sunday) at the Chungmu Arts Center – Middle Hall (Black) in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The venue has a maximum capacity of 327 seats . There will be performances every day except on Monday making the total performances to 103 (or 102 in cas

To My Star Has Seized My Universe

Hey everyone! How have you been? As for me, I have been busy with the mundane stuff but thankfully still have enough time to spend catching up on old and new BL shows alike. With how popular the Boys’ Love genre has come to be, it’s no surprise that entertainment companies have been steadily churning show after show for the fans to feast on. My watch list just keeps getting longer but I’m not complaining. Today, I’m going to talk about a Korean BL series that is very special to me: To My Star . This will be the first of a 2-part post on this series as I will be talking about seasons 1 & 2 separately. Please be warned that this will be an in-depth review of the show so there will be spoilers not to mention it will be a lengthy post. Let’s start. The Plot To My Star is a South Korean Boys’ Love (KBL) web drama directed by Hwang Da Seul and starring actors Son Woo Hyeon and Kim Kang Min . Season 1 began airing on the 22nd of  January 2021 and had a total of 9 episodes with a durat