Skip to main content

Our Dating Sim Promises of a Love that is Here to Stay

Hello everyone! I am back with another BL post. This time I’m going to talk about the recently-concluded Korean web drama that took the BL community by storm: Our Dating Sim. Fair warning to those who have yet to watch the series that this will contain spoilers. If that doesn't bother you, then please continue reading. Let’s begin.


The Plot
Our Dating Sim is a South Korean Boy’s Love drama directed by Lim Hyun Hee and stars Lee Jong Hyuk and Lee Seung Gyu. It began airing on the 9th of March 2023 and had a total of 8 episodes with each episode averaging 15 minutes of run time.

Our Dating Sim tells the story of Lee Wan (Lee Jong Hyuk) and Shin Ki Tae (Lee Seung Gyu) who were best friends back in high school. On graduation day, Wan confessed his romantic feelings toward Ki Tae which caught the latter by surprise and thus was unable to respond. Wan, in a moment of panic, left immediately then completely cut off all contact with Ki Tae. Seven years later, the two cross paths once again after Wan gets invited to an interview and is eventually accepted by the same company where Ki Tae is working at.


My General Review
March turned out to be an amazing month for KBL just by the sheer number of shows that were released this month, Our Dating Sim being one of them. Honestly, no one saw this coming. The influence of this limited web series took the entire BL community by surprise.

While the premise looks pretty simple, it involves a time skip which can be tricky to execute in dramas even more so for those with limited runtime. But surprisingly, Our Dating Sim made everything work.

The first 2 episodes did a great job of introducing us to the characters and the relationships they have or had in the case of our lead couple. It created the perfect tension to hold the audience’s interest so they continue anticipating the next episodes.


Since this series deals with a 7-year time skip, we can expect flashbacks from time to time, and the way they were woven into the show was well placed and smoothly executed. I find it smart that while the story touched on the background of Wan, it did not dwell too much on narrating his life experiences and only covered the parts that would help progress the main storyline. 

I’ve read several comments about how we were not really given a proper explanation of why Lee Wan did what he did 7 years ago and to some extent, I do agree with that. I think this is a great premise to expand on if they do get a second season, but for this particular show, I think the director, upon considering the very limited runtime, relied more on the showing and not telling so we were left to decode Wan’s reasons on our own.

The camerawork was impressive in putting emphasis on certain scenes like the one on the soccer field where Ki Tae was looking for Wan who ran away after confessing to him on the rooftop. I found the constantly moving camera shot effective in sustaining the tension from the prior scene.


Another striking scene for me was toward the end of episode 2 when it was revealed that Shin Ki Tae was Gameboy all along. The way the camera pans from behind accompanied by perfectly timed music to show Ki Tae in front of his computer was brilliant. It was like an aha moment and I seriously loved it. Even the smirk on Ki Tae’s face was the perfect addition to that already superb scene.


I also like the part where Wan confronted Ki Tae on the rooftop after he finds out that Ki Tae was the one who recommended him. Someone pointed out how the characters shifted from formal to casual language indicating that their dynamic is about to change from then on. It was an interesting detail that was easily missed by non-Korean language speakers and I’m grateful it got shared as it added more nuance to the scene.


Probably the most talked about scene in this show was their first date in episode 6 as it was a long shot – an entire 3-minute scene shot from start to finish in one take. I felt like a friend of theirs third-wheeling and I loved it. Even though the way Wan finally said that they could start dating was understated, it perfectly fits the laid-back mood of that moment. I am once again impressed by the dedication of everyone involved in that scene.


The pacing of Our Dating Sim was incredible. How the story flowed was smooth and cohesive given the short episode lengths, they knew which scenes to show and to avoid. It was obvious throughout the series how well thought out each scene was – from the camera angle and panning, the speed in which scenes transition, the actors’ movements, and even the way they deliver their lines.


The Actors
I think the actors were the strongest point of this series. Given the short amount of time they have to narrate their story, the acting and chemistry needed to be seamless for everything to be believable. Lee Jong Hyuk and Lee Seung Gyu did not disappoint. They were a revelation in this show.

I like that Lee Jong Hyuk was able to portray Wan’s confusion and lack of self-confidence in the early episodes effectively. It’s interesting to watch him adapt his body language and vocal tone perfectly depending on what a scene requires. 



I had fun watching Jong Hyuk during the rooftop confrontation scene in episode 3. The way his eyes keep shifting and how he was struggling with his words showed how anxious he was in that situation. And that loud exhale was timed perfectly and worked well to amplify the tension of that scene. The way he reacted after Ki Tae confesses that he was Gameboy was fun to watch as well. I like that it wasn’t over-the-top and had just the right amount of emotion. 


I also found it adorable when Wan first visited Ki Tae’s apartment and choked on his drink after Ki Tae told him he was going to take a shower first. I like that Jong Hyuk’s acting isn’t too performative. Personally, while I like the romantic comedy genre, I get put off by characters who are too comedic. I don’t enjoy exaggerated movements or vocal tones.

Personally, I think Lee Seung Gyu was the breakout star of this series. The way he brought Shin Ki Tae to life and added depth to his character was just brilliant. People who have seen Our Dating Sim have nothing but admiration for the impressive acting skills of Seung Gyu and I cannot agree more. And it doesn't hurt that he's so good-looking too. Admittedly, I often find myself getting distracted by his lips.

I can probably sing praises of every scene Lee Seung Gyu had in this show but that would take forever so I’ll just add a few more notable ones and leave out the rest for you guys to discover on your own.

Initially, we were introduced to the dependable, cool, and chic game planner and developer that is Shin Ki Tae. But in the subsequent episodes, we see a completely different Ki Tae whenever he’s with Wan. I’m amazed at how Seung Gyu was able to switch between these two personas so effortlessly.


I think Seung Gyu’s acting skills were highlighted during scenes where Ki Tae was allowing himself to be vulnerable in front of Wan. The first notable example was when he confessed his feelings for Wan. The build-up toward that scene was fantastically done in addition to the tension between the two leads. The way Ki Tae’s voice trembled as he let out all his frustrations and finally told Wan how he likes him too was well-executed. It made him vulnerable but he’s determined to face the issue this time. I can feel all his emotions through the screen at that moment. I have to say this part rocked the BL community. It was such an amazing scene brought to life by equally amazing actors.


Another thing that I like about Seung Gyu is his way of speaking. Whenever he says his lines, it sounds natural like it’s coming from an actual conversation and not something that’s been memorized from a script. His accompanying facial expressions and movements perfectly match the mood of the scene as well.

The breakfast scene the morning after Wan had a drink with the PD that was trying to pirate him was heartbreaking. Ki Tae’s fear was palpable and I applaud Seung Gyu for acting it out so well. Admittedly, I shed a few tears watching that scene. And then there’s the part where Ki Tae was running around the neighborhood looking for Wan since he can’t contact the latter. That broke my heart as well as I felt the desperation in Ki Tae’s voice at that very moment. It was a rather heavy scene and I would love for Ki Tae’s trauma to be tackled further in case they get another season.




I think the one thing that the actors and the behind-the-scene team have in common is their shared passion for bringing this wonderful story to life. And I mean the genuine passion that fueled them to give it their all in whatever aspect of the show they are part of. You can tell they love what they are doing because they are giving it their best. 


The Chemistry
Lee Seung Gyu and Lee Jong Hyuk have the most amazing chemistry! I know KBL still has a long way to go in terms of public acceptance in South Korea so I understand how some actors might be a bit apprehensive about being too friendly or showing chemistry with their on-screen partners but these two seem to have none of those worries. They were completely at ease with each other and it radiated throughout the series.



The way their energies matched each other so well was noticeable each time they were on-screen. The casual physical intimacies that followed soon after they became boyfriends were so relaxed and natural that it got me thinking about how we got so little, if any, of those in the earlier KBL shows. The way they were so comfortable just being around each other felt exactly like how real couples in a loving relationship are – the stares, the hand-holding, the hugs, the butt pat, and the sprinkling of light kisses. My heart feels so giddy just watching Seung Gyu and Jong Hyuk play their characters.


Did I mention the kisses? My gosh, their kisses are so lovely!

It’s a collective concern within the BL community how some shows (mostly the KBL ones) would start strong with a great story, pacing, cinematography, etc. but towards the end, the couple would have a lackluster kiss scene (commonly referred to as the dead fish kiss where their lips would just touch and remain unmoving) which more often than not takes away the great foundation it built. Of course, kiss scenes are not the end all be all in BL shows but they do leave a lasting impression on the audience if done well.


And wow did Seung Gyu and Jong Hyuk kiss so well in this show! And they kiss often! I am in awe of their professionalism and dedication to making the love between Ki Tae and Wan come across as realistic as possible. I have this not-so-slight aversion for an actor who is giving just the bare minimum in a kissing scene in comparison to his partner, especially if they are already in an established romantic relationship. That being said, I was so satisfied with the kisses the couple in Our Dating Sim shared. I’m glad that both actors matched each other’s passion and it showed.


I have been following a few accounts on Twitter who instantly became smitten by these two people as soon as Our Dating Sim began airing and I must say I get it. For real. These two have a certain pull that once you got caught, it will be difficult to break away.


My Final Thoughts
Our Dating Sim is arguably one of the best KBL shows to air for 2023. Given the extremely limited run-time and ambitious storyline, they were able to make everything work together so harmoniously. The storytelling, the pacing, the acting, and most especially the chemistry between the lead actors were among the best I’ve seen in KBL so far.

If you are a fan of BL, you definitely should watch Our Dating Sim. It's light-hearted, fun, romantic, and has just the right amount of angst to balance everything else. Since it's a relatively short series, it's also easy to re-watch whenever you feel like it.


So there you have it. The unexpected gem that took the KBL community by storm – Our Dating Sim. If you want something light and fun to watch during your free time, you should give this series a try. It’s not being raved about in the BL community for nothing. I, along with the rest of the KBL community, am hoping for a season 2 because from what I’ve been seeing and reading online, it got a massive response from the audience.


📌 You can watch Our Dating Sim on Rakuten Viki.



PS: Because you made it to the end, here is a little something for you. 💛



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Moon in Manila

How do I even begin this fan account? Yesterday was crazy. I was basically dragging my feet going home as I was too tired from the long day but it was all worth it. Finally seeing Jung Yong Hwa , Lee Jong Hyun , Kang Min Hyuk , and Lee Jung Shin of CNBLUE perform live in front of me is truly a dream come true. The concert was scheduled to start at 8:00 PM while gates open at 6:00 PM but I went to the venue early so I won’t have to worry about being stuck in traffic or something. I was there at around 3:00 in the afternoon and good thing the concert venue was next to shopping malls so I was just mindlessly strolling while waiting for the time. I lined up at around 4:00 PM and thankfully they opened the gates and let everyone in at exactly 6:00 PM, so I only need to stand in line for about 2 hours. Of course, it’s nothing compared to yesterday’s. While we were let into the building early, we had to wait again to enter the main coliseum where the concert will take place. It seems like

Son Woo Hyeon Returns to Stage Plays in Sergio Blanco’s Tebas Land

Tebas Land depicts the story of S , a playwright seeking to create a project around the story of Martin Santos , a young man who murdered his own father. The pair gets to know each other through repeated encounters on a prison basketball court as S gives Martin a space to share his story in his own words. S originally aims to understand what caused Martin to kill his father and to decipher the psyche of a parricide, however, as their meetings progress, S’s artistic vision begins to blur the line between art and truth. In the play, Woo Hyun takes on the roles of Martin , a young man imprisoned for the murder of his father, and Federico , the actor who will be portraying Martin. The show will run from June 28, 2023 (Wednesday) to September 24, 2023 (Sunday) at the Chungmu Arts Center – Middle Hall (Black) in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The venue has a maximum capacity of 327 seats . There will be performances every day except on Monday making the total performances to 103 (or 102 in cas

To My Star Has Seized My Universe

Hey everyone! How have you been? As for me, I have been busy with the mundane stuff but thankfully still have enough time to spend catching up on old and new BL shows alike. With how popular the Boys’ Love genre has come to be, it’s no surprise that entertainment companies have been steadily churning show after show for the fans to feast on. My watch list just keeps getting longer but I’m not complaining. Today, I’m going to talk about a Korean BL series that is very special to me: To My Star . This will be the first of a 2-part post on this series as I will be talking about seasons 1 & 2 separately. Please be warned that this will be an in-depth review of the show so there will be spoilers not to mention it will be a lengthy post. Let’s start. The Plot To My Star is a South Korean Boys’ Love (KBL) web drama directed by Hwang Da Seul and starring actors Son Woo Hyeon and Kim Kang Min . Season 1 began airing on the 22nd of  January 2021 and had a total of 9 episodes with a durat